The Colombo National Museum
The Colombo National Museum was opened to the public on January 1, 1877 its founder member being Sir William Henry Gregory who was the Governor of Ceylon at that time. The plan for the Museum was made by the government architect Mr. James G. Smither and he designed the plan in Italian architectural style.
At the time of its inauguration, there had been about 1200 antiquities and natural history specimens. Colombo National Museum became very popular amongst locals as well as foreigners alike by 1940.
The collections that the Museum possessed accumulated over the years and by the time it was commemorating its 125th anniversary, the Colombo National Museum had over a hundred thousand antiquities and natural history specimens.
The Colombo National Museum is open to the public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., on all days except on Fridays and public holidays. Apart from viewing the objects, the public can also receive assistance in terms of library services, and other educational guidance from its officers and lecturers for researches, projects etc.