Being one of the fifteen cathedrals in the country, St. Lucia’s Cathedral is more than 200 years old. It is regarded as one of the most beautiful cathedrals in Sri Lanka. St Lucia’s Cathedral was first established in 1760. The cathedral’s dome was damaged in the 1942 by Japanese bombing and repairs began much later. The cathedral is of distinct Gothic architecture. The facade rests on massive ionic columns and it’s adorned with seven statues.
The cathedral is located in Kotahena which is around 15 minutes away from the leading hotels in Colombo, and easy to find with Good Shepherd Convent and St Benedict’s College on the side. On the West side of the cathedral is the parish office and a little shop that sells rosary beads.
The interior of the cathedral will overwhelm you: along the side aisles are large decorative statues of saints sculptured and painted in minute detail. Many of these statues were installed in 1924 by Rev. Fr. J Milliner who was a gifted artist.
The church is a great reminder about the past of Ceylon and the Church is well maintained and preserved to a very great level.
St. Lucia’s Cathedral has a very quiet atmosphere inside the cathedral considering its location. Sri Lankans of all faiths go to this church and make “vows” that they will fulfill if their prayers are answered.