Most hotels in Colombo offer buffets and most people enjoy going for buffets. Yet a number of things can make it a negative experience. Buffets seem to make people do things they wouldn’t appreciate others doing. It’s important to know the correct way to serve yourself.
- First of all, have a look at all the food items before making your selection. That way you can plan and select what you want to have, without piling up your plate with what does not appeal to you and later running out of space on your plate for what you would like to try. Also, it keeps the line moving without guests remaining in the same spot trying to figure out whether or not they want something.
- In a restaurant, clean plates are always available, That means you should not have to reuse plates when you need second helpings. When you’re going back to the buffet for seconds, you can use a new plate and ask for fresh silverware.
- You should never switch direction. Buffets move in one direction only. Don’t start turning back or start from the opposite direction which would be as bad as cutting into a line. You should never nibble at your food even starters, when you are still in line.
- When you get up from your table to return to the buffet, place your napkin on the seat of your chair to let others know you are returning.
- If you feel the need to cough or sneeze, turn your head away from the serving table if you have no time to excuse and move further away.
- Place serving tools in the original dishes without mixing. If someone is allergic to certain food items such as shrimps, mixing may trigger allergic reactions.
- Eat slowly, don’t forget you’re there to enjoy yourself with your family or friends. Take the time to enjoy your meal, without rushing it.